I know… I know…. Another muffin post that has bananas in it. Sorry… I seem to always have a banana or 2 that have gone brown. (I also break ’em up and put them in the freezer for a smoothie, but I have plenty of frozen chunks in the freezer and felt like baking this morning.)
I’m still trying to convince myself that flour is evil and that muffins without flour taste yummy. Well… I’m not there yet. I think it’s the consistency or denseness. Flourless muffins just don’t have a dense-ness that I’m seeking when I think “bread” or “muffin”.
In any case, I think these are pretty good. Not ‘knock-your-socks-off’ awesome, but they are light and have a lovely light, airy sweetness with that tantalizing bite that comes from semi-sweet chocolates. And not to disappoint, I used a splash of banana rum to kick up the banana flavor a tad. Because… you know… I bake with booze.
(I really need to work on my photography skills or rather settings on my camera…and the lighting in the kitchen. Or all of the above…. In any case… you get the gist of how these look.)
I’m not claiming that these are healthy for you… but I’m just saying that aren’t entirely horrible like a muffin you’d get at a bakery that uses tons of butter, sugar, oil and flour. Mind you… I love butter. Love, love, love butter. (REAL butter… not the imitation stuff. And of course, I try to only use Kerrygold, but sometimes I’ll buy butter that is not from grass-fed cows. I know… What am I thinking? I’m working on it.) In any case, I try to limit the amount of butter I use in cooking and baked goods. I mean if I’m going to have it… have it where you can taste it… like on corn on the cub or steamed asparagus… or my all time favorite… on homemade bread. I digress….
These Flourless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins make 6 large muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large super ripe banana
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp banana rum
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare large 6-muffin pan.
- Grind 1 cup of the rolled oats into a ‘flour-like’ consistency. (I used my handy-dandy Magic Bullet.) Reserve other 1/2 cup – do not grind.
- Blend the wet ingredients until smooth and liquid-y: honey, banana, yogurt, eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil, banana rum.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients (except the 1/2 cup of oats and chocolates): oat ‘flour’, flaxseed meal, baking powder, cinnamon.
- Then stir in the wet, slowly.
- Fold in remaining 1/2 cup rolled oats.
- Gently fold in chocolate morsels.
- Divvy up the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack or like I do…put them on a cold burner on the stove.
- Enjoy as a snack or dessert or if you so desire, breakfast.
#Flourless #Breakfast #Snack #Dessert #iBakeWithBooze #Muffins